Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Teaching Stranger Danger

One of the perks of being a 4-H Agent's kid is you get to
go to a lot of 4-H meetings! 
We have really been enjoying the warmer weather by playing outside everyday! Daryl has been making obstacle courses for his bike and Alex has been swinging on the new swing set.
On Sunday Daryl had to go to two church services because Kelly sang at 8:30 but he was ringing bells at 11:00. Kelly took Daryl back to church and I stayed home with Alex.
I had some picking up to do inside the house so Alex went to the backyard to play by himself. I was keeping an eye on him and for the most part he was just swinging and the swing set is pretty close to the house.
At some of these meetings you get cool swag like fish
of Kansas trading cards!
PS-His fingernail is not black, I painted it.
He asked me to, and it's fun! 
I looked out again and he was chasing Purl and throwing leaves on her. She looked like she was enjoying the game so I didn't go outside. Alex went all the way to the edge of the yard to get more leaves and I noticed a walker with his dog in the cemetery behind our house. This is not unusual but Alex being out by the fence by himself was new. I moved to the sun room and kept watching. The man walked by and I don't think Alex even knew he was there.
I finished up what I was doing and then headed out to push Alex on the swings. I decided to have the "stranger" chat with him.

Me-Alex if a stranger tries to talk to you through the fence you need to run up to the house, ok?
Alex-What would the stranger say?
Me-I don't know they might just say hi or they might ask you to go with them to get ice cream.
Alex-Ice Cream! The stranger would take me to ice cream?!
Me-No Alex, they would just say that to get you away from mom and dad.
Alex-But then we would get Ice Cream!
Me-No Alex, there is no Ice Cream, they just want to take you.
Alex-Oh, Ok.
Me-So if a stranger tries to talk to you, run back up to the house, ok?
Alex-Ok, and you take me to Ice Cream.
Me-Let's just swing.
Alex-OK!
Also on Sunday Daryl and I took a run/ bike ride through the cemetery. I got in two miles and we had a very nice talk about Papa Daryl. If you don't know Daryl is names after my Dad who died when I was 20. The two never got to meet.
Daryl asked what he has is common with Papa Daryl. I gave him the following list:
You are both kind
You both laugh at funny things
You are both very good singers
and you are both very very smart
Daryl was pretty happy to know he is so like his namesake, made me pretty darn happy too!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly that love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me. stranger chat

    ReplyDelete