Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Meerpohl's Fair

While the 2020 County Fair will always be remembered for face masks, it had many bright spots. I feel like everyone was more thankful for the volunteers and extension staff this year. Nothing was taken for granted and people were truly happy that our modified fair happened. 

I was a very proud 4-H mom this year. I don't know if the boys were just bored but I had zero complaints about finishing fair projects! Yes, they asked for breaks at time, but then they got right back to work. I am so proud of how they got all of their stuff done, days before it had to be entered. I wonder if that will ever happen again! 

Alex's Fair (1st year in projects)
Photography: Whale Picture Red and Tree Bark Picture Purple
Arts and Crafts: Painting Blue and Ceramic Star Blue

Daryl's Fair 
Wildlife: Reserve Champion with his poster! 
Clothing Construction: Tote bag Blue
Buymanship: Casual Outfit Blue
Fashion Revue: Casual Outfit Blue

Funny story about how much grandma helps with fair projects. I usually brainstorm with the boys so I can go get the things they will need to do their projects. Then Grandma is the supervisor while things are being made. Daryl has seen a beaver many times at a creek near our house. He decided he wanted to do his wildlife poster on beavers. Great, what do you want to title it? He decided on "Leave it to Beaver," like the show. Great, I went and got him all of the stuff.  

I come home one night from work and Daryl is diligently working on his poster. I notice he has started the title and it says Beaver and on the next line an F. 
Me- "Daryl what happened to your leave it to Beaver title?" 
D- "It's too big, Grandma and I decided to change it to Beaver Fever." 
Me-"Ummmm I don't think so!" 
D-"Why not, I like that title." 
Me mind racing on how to fix this, letters have been glued down!
Me-"Beaver Facts! Make the title Beaver Facts!" 
D-"I don't like that title, why can't I use Beaver Fever." 
(Me whispering in  his ear why that's not a good idea) 
D-OMG mom, that's crazy, OK I'll change the title. 
Ps-Grandma is not as cool as I thought she was. Had to explain it a little to her too! LOL 

He was so excited to get a purple his first year!

Reserve Champion on his poster! 

The only time the boys got to see me was a project pick up. 
It was fun to watch them find out what they had gotten!



No comments:

Post a Comment