Friday, June 19, 2020

Camp Spirit Lives On !

Kansas 4-H Agents found out a couple of months ago that there would be no 4-H camp at Rock Springs this June. I just had to stop and mourn a little bit. For me, camp is my favorite 4-H activity of the year. I adore the agents I plan camp with and I love taking my older youth down early for counselor training and hearing all their stories as we head home after a LONG four days with campers.

My week at camp is my recharge. Having a chance to watch youth disconnect from technology and play in the pool, learn about nature and sing camp songs can get me through the hardest parts of my job. So as much as this was another 2020 blow to our kids it was a blow to 4-H professionals as well. 

I don't think I was even out of my shock yet when an agent in our group sent a message out to all of us, "we should have virtual camp, we can do it!" I immediately was for it, I didn't want to take something away from my campers without offering an alternative. 

Our group knew this was not the camp we know and love. So, another agent in our group said we should name it "Camp Connection". That is exactly what it was, a Connection to a week that we love and we were not just going to say we will wait till next year. 

So with the bravery of Extension staff, teenage counselors and youth who said they would give it a try we had virtual camp this week! I know it was not for everyone, but really camp at Rock Springs is also not for everyone. I'm going to say for the majority of youth that were laughing, singing, crafting, learning and DANCING it was successful! 

Last night was out last session (we had three nights of camp activities for three hours a night) and the heartfelt thank yous and the youth who said they wanted one more night lifted my spirit. Those are the same things we hear when we are leaving 4-H camp and putting kids on buses. So while it was different the effort of the pivoting of our Camp Group was so appreciated. 

Lastly, I just loved seeing the kids. When my job is getting frustrating I just have to go spend time at a 4-H event and I feel better. I haven't seen my kids in a LONG time, and watching them participate in Camp Connection was much needed! This summer is going to continue to be challenging but I want to send a big Thank You to my camp group. We all worked really hard and what we accomplished was the exact thing I needed, camp spirit was alive at Camp Connection! 
This group is amazing and can accomplish 
amazing things together! 
I don't think they know how much I 
appreciate them as colleagues and friends!


We even dissected owl pellets! I think
mine ate a shrew? 

Don't let anyone tell you a tea light can't
be a campfire! 

The back of our camp shirt. Really says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment