Wednesday, July 31, 2024

July Goal Check In

With the fair behind us and school in front of us, we have a few weeks to relax. Daryl did a workforce training program this summer and the last day for that was July 19th. He worked from 9-12 Monday-Thursday and on Friday he had a lesson in professional development. The program was put on by the city and it was call Topeka Way to Work. If you have a 14-16 year old next summer, check it out! Now when he goes to apply for a part time job he will have some work experience and it kept him occupied this summer while making a little money. 

Alex had some school enrichment in June but has had July to himself. He is doing things for me when I ask him and doing some creative writing, unprompted! Excellent July Boys, we did good!  

Read 18 Books 14/18 

I read two books this month and that was mostly because my first book was already half read when the month started! July is a busy month so I'm glad I still made time to read. 

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert was a book I had been picking at for a couple of months. I learned all the ins and outs of Dune in the first book but this one was still a slow read. Like the first book this one got good when there was only 3/4 of the book left. So now I do want to read the third Dune book but will the first part of the book be any better?! 

The Color Purple by Alice Walker was literary perfection. 10/10, should have read sooner. There is a reason it is on all of the "best books" lists. It is both painful and beautiful, sorrowful and joyful. Such a hard thing to do and I loved every page. This book is for sure, going on the shelf. 

Run 600 Miles 365/600

I don't know when I will learn not to take the first half of the month easy. This is how my weeks of July went to get to my 55 mile goal 

Week 1: 9.1 miles

Week 2: 11.45 miles

Week 3: 8.42 miles

Week 4: 15.8 miles

July 28-31: 11 miles 

Monthly Healthy Habit Drink More Water  

Not only did I keep my water bottle with me at all times this month, I've also started to up my fruits and veggies again. Nothing with too much acid though, I do not want mouth sores again! 

In August I'm going to try to eat more protein! 

2024 Money Goals:   

  • Replace Garage Door Replace Windows In a holding pattern on my new windows
  • Down payment on New Car (Done July) Found my new car in July! The plan was to put down 10K ended up putting more down to make my monthly payment lower. My savings account is sad, but I'm very happy! 
  • Pay Mortg. Principle down 4K Made a principle payment in July
  • Hit my Savings Goals for the year Made the smallest transfer to savings in July that I have all year. It's an expensive month. Alex's Birthday, County Fair, and yearly vet appointments so saving anything is a plus! 
Daryl working the concessions stand for 
4-H Exchange 


Alex and I reporting for duty at the 4-H pancake feed! 

We had two baseball games during the fair. Thankfully after last night we are done! 

Daryl's best showing in Archery ever!

My favorite fair scarecrow.
The '24 theme was "Get Carried Away at the Shawnee County Fair" 



No comments:

Post a Comment