Thursday, June 11, 2015

An Open Letter to Governor Brownback

Dear Governor Brownback,

Sad, ashamed and embarrassed are my feelings this morning. While I have much to say I will try to keep this brief on the off chance you actually read this.
As the Kansas Legislature gets ready for another day in their record breaking session I want to make it clear I believe it is not their fault they are still there. I blame your threat of Veto of any tax bill that rolls back your plan to cut taxes for businesses.
I know how hard it is to admit when you are wrong Gov. Brownback, it hurts your pride and in your case might show the true colors of some of your "friends". Governor, if people only like you because you do them favors with the Kansas economy, they are not really your friends. Your experiment with trickle down economics has fallen flat on its face. Our state is the laughing stock of the Nation. Doesn't that bother you? As a life long Kansan, it bothers me.
I want to let you know it is not to late to admit you were wrong. To encourage lawmakers to help repair the hole in our budget by reinstating business income tax, gradually if we must. The tax bill the Senate passed makes me ashamed. Asking the middle class and the poorest of all of us to bail out Kansas is shameful. Businesses reap all the benefit while the rest of us will pay more sales tax, more gas tax and loose state tax deductions, really?!
Stop this game of chicken you have started with the House of Representatives. Stop insisting you will Veto anything that you don't like. Stop telling them my son's school will loose more money if they don't pass the Senate's bill. The House of Representatives represent the people of Kansas. If they keep voting down the insane tax bill, it is a clue to how their constituents are telling them to vote. They just need you, Gov. Brownback, to be a leader for our state and fix what your broke.
Sincerely,
Candis Meerpohl
Topeka, KS
Lifelong Kansan (and would like to stay that way)

Sorry regular blog readers, I will be back to knitting and funny kid stories in my next post. I just can't keep watching this mess in the capitol and not say anything.

1 comment:

  1. Candis that is a lot tamer than 99.9% of Kansas would have put it. Discussing and outrage is what I'm felling.

    ReplyDelete